Total Pageviews

Friday, February 25, 2011

The worst part about being a mom...

As all of you who are parents would agree, the worst part of the job is when they get sick. Mainly because there isn't a darned thing you can do about it. You can't cure it, you can't take away the pain, you can't take away the misery...it Sucks! Today was my day to be tested by my poor, poor sick baby.

Andrew has had a fever and a runny nose since Sunday while we were in Zion. Yesterday I took him to the pediatrician because his fever just wouldn't go away. He has been diagnosed with a sinus infection. His poor nose looks like Rudolf, and he just doesn't feel very well. He was prescribed and antibiotic, forgive me because I will butcher the spelling, but it's Azythromiacin. Since he had his first dose last night I thought he'd be well enough to go back to school because he wanted to attend his "Meet the Author Tea" for all the parents. He went into the bathroom as he does every morning and I went to get the thermometer to make sure his fever was gone. Next thing I know, Alexander is yelling at me that Andrew has passed out in the bathroom. (Now, for all of you who know us, apparently my kids are susceptible to passing out.) Needless to say I freak out as I'm trying to get him out of the ball he'd turned his body into against the bathroom door, to lay him flat on the ground. Now, keep in mind I'm also trying to get breakfast ready for the other 2 so they can go to school. So, Stephen gets up and agrees to finish with the other 2 while I rush Andrew to Quick Care. My thought is that he's dehydrated and they are going to give him an IV. To try to make this long story short, They gave him a blood test, urine test, EKG, and Blood Pressure test to which all came out normal. So, I took him home, fed him breakfast, gave him his next dose of meds. and settled down to watch Cake Boss with him. After 2 hours of shows, I sent him to the shower. Next thing I know he turns off the water and calls to me, "Mom! I'm gonna Throw up!" Good God! What now. Sure enough, up comes breakfast. "sigh" Will this day ever get any better?

So, I put a call in to the Pediatrician because passing out and throwing up all in the same day is way too coincidental. The only thing that has changed in his life these past 2 days is the meds. Needless to say I'm now awaiting a call from the Dr. to have the meds changed in hopes this will fix the problem.

Now, I don't know about you, but, seriously! Why do we parents have to be challenged in this way? The blessing that has come of this is that we have gotten to spend some one on one time together. He always has to share me with his brother and sister, so it's been nice to have him all to myself without anyone else interrupting. And that's what gets me through their illnesses. The little blessings that come of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment