Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Toys these days

Ok, so this just boggles my mind. Today I turned on the radio to the middle of a conversation about toys and what they do. Then shortly after, my manicurist told me this story hit the news. They have made a doll that teaches little girls how to Breast Feed! Seriously? Are we really pushing motherhood on 4 and 5 year olds now? And so graphically that they now have to learn to breastfeed at an early age? I really don't get it. Here's a link from Yahoo...http://theoaklandpress.com/articles/2011/03/30/news/doc4d929cc14e448398001208.txt

Anyway, I believe in breastfeeding. I breastfed all of my children. However, I don't think it's appropriate for children 4+ to be imitating breastfeeding. The question that runs through my mind as I think of this doll, is "How many more teenage pregnancies will happen in the future because this doll encourages children to be young mothers?" Now, the toy company may have had other ideas in mind when they created this toy, like maybe promoting breast over bottle, but does it really have to be introduced to kids at such a young age? I mean, they don't even know about sex at that age, let alone the reason for breastfeeding. Now, I can see if they have baby siblings and the mother talks to them about breastfeeding and why it's done, but, face it, now a days parents just don't do that. They don't talk to their kids about topics such as these. So, can someone explain to me the reason the inventor of this particular doll thought this was a good idea? I would NEVER buy my daughter a doll that did that. I never even bought her a doll that "peed" in the potty when I was potty training her. What is this world coming to?

No comments:

Post a Comment